Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Taste of Scandinavia Bakery and Cafe

I really needed some lutefisk.

No, that's not true at all.

I was just hungry in general, but by the time I realized that I had no actual interest in lutefisk I was already at the local Scandinavian food-hole with the cashier staring at me.

Thinking quickly I asked for the soup of the day, coffee, and a ginger cookie I could see out of the corner of my eye in their baked goods shelves.

Instead, my companion took the fall and ate the lutefisk. He was sure that someone who likes lutefisk would have liked it, but he did not. We will never know if it was good or bad lutefisk because, really, we don't know what rotting fish was supposed to taste like.

On the other hand, the chicken-wild rice soup I had was rather tasty, and the ginger cookie was appropriately gingery and cookie-like.

Overall I'd say that the meal was alright, but I'm left with the lingering feeling that I should have just kept my $8 and spent it somewhere else.

To confirm this, I returned later and had Swedish pancakes. This meal was also lackluster, although it was slathered with enough whipped cream and berries to make it passable.

So far, it appears that, at least at this location, it would be wise to stick to the baked goods offered and avoid ordering from the grill. That seems to be the Taste of Scandinavia's strong suit and primary purpose, and that element of their selection lives up to a much higher standard.

Also the chairs in the forward section of the store are really uncomfortable. Sit in the back.

Website:
http://www.tasteofscandinavia.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both accurate and amusing