Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sushi Tango

First let me say that the name of this establishment was very misleading. Although there was sushi, there was very little tango to be had.

I suppose that wasn't really the point. I'll move on.

During the course of the meal I had a jar of hot sake with Chambord in it, which I though was quite good: it was a mix of traditional and non-traditional resulting in something better than either. I think this pretty much the best way to describe my experience with Sushi Tango in general.

Sushi Tango's menu offered a wide selection of fine fish dishes, and we decided to sample a variety of items. Off the top of my head I remember we had Unagi (eel), Red Snapper, several forms of tuna, an oyster thing, quail eggs, a strawberry-eel roll (sounds odd, but good), and a fried shrimp on a stick. There were probably several other fishes that entered my gullet that night that I do not remember.

The Unagi and shrimp were very good. Both were quite hot and delectable. The problem was that none of the other dishes seemed very well cooked. This surprised me greatly, I mean, I know that they were understaffed, but that hardly allows them to put raw fish out in front of us and expect no complaint! This is especially true for fish! Who knows what parasites are burrowing into the lining of the stomach!


...

Hold on.

...

I have recently been informed that this "sushi" is supposed to be largely uncooked.

Never mind. Everything was delicious anyway.

There were small imperfection in the meal unrelated to my bumpkinry, however. One of the Unagi dishes was a little undercooked, for real this time, and the bones weren't entirely gelled, and the red snapper tasted a little too much of lime. Overall the meal was delicious and I imagine these were merely minor flukes that will probably never happen to me again. Also, their tea tasted like old sock water, and I doubt that will change.

At some point we were served deep-fried fish heads. Those were good too. They were a nice surprise that really helped out the overall presentation of the meal.

The atmosphere of Sushi Tango was slightly incongruous with my expectations. First, the waiter was white. I forgive him of this, but next time it had better not happen. Equal opportunity employment is good, but it seems to lead to disappointment. Second, the music in the establishment was along the lines of "She Blinded Me with Science" and "Electric Boogaloo." Again, it just isn't right.

On one hand, little touches like this really made the whole place much more low-key and inviting compared to many up-scale sushi places. While many places have geisha serve you while every moment you expect to duck under the table to avoid a sword fight or gun play like some John Woo action flick, Sushi Tango offered much more comfortable environment. On the other hand, geisha and highly choreographed gun battles are welcome too.

Sushi Tango was reasonably priced while offering quality fish stuff. Go there for a relaxing night of raw fish on rice.

Website: Sushi Tango

P.S. Does anyone else think the guy on their logo look like something cold just got stuck up his ass?

Many minor edits have been made to this post when I re-read it and realized I was rambling slightly more incoherently than I typically go for.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow, you pinpointed that exactly. I couldn't figure out whether he was constipated or...I didn't even want to venture a guess, actually.

I was a big fan of the caterpillar roll (aka the strawberry-eel roll). However, I much agree on the atmosphere. For sushi, I prefer Nami. This is certainly a bit more affordable, however, so while I am a student I will deal with it knowing I cannot get good sushi anywhere in NE.