Wednesday, October 17, 2007

St. Supery Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc (2006)

St. Supery has been my favorite Sauvignon Blanc since I started drinking wine more regularly. My first experience with St. Supery's Sauvignon Blanc was at Nami. It was a 2003 vintage, and fantastic with sushi. The previous visit I made to Nami the server recommended a Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc. I still have not completely forgiven that server for recommending that over St. Supery. I have since had every vintage from 2003 to the one reviewed now. For those who do not wish to read any further, this is possibly their best year yet.

The nose has the typical aromas of citrus, only more definable in this vintage compared to others. 2003-2005 simply smelled generally citrusy with grapefruit being the most noticeable. In the 2006 one is able to pick up grapefruit, lemon, lime, and whiffs of pineapple and strawberry. There is also a general sweetness on the nose.

The body is characteristically dry and acidic. The people I was drinking with were surprised at how dry the body was compared to the nose. Grapefruit is once again the most prevalent taste in the body, but the lime is present to, along with a hint of nuttiness at the crisp, medium finish.

At the MGM on Rice Street in St. Paul, MN (which was kind enough to special order this stock in for me) a bottle will cost USD 21.99. This is a significant increase, as 2005 had cost 15.99. I will have to check a store that regularly stocks this varietal as the special order may have affected cost. However, I do believe that St. Supery had not been charging what the wine was worth in previous years and the cost is justified for this excellent dry white.

We had it with our salad course and it was a good pairing. As with most Sauvignon Blancs, pair with anything you might think of putting lemon on and enjoy.

Website: http://www.stsupery.com/wines/stsupery/sauvignonblanc.html .

No comments: